CFP: Deletion, special themed episode on Dr Who
Deletion Special Episode CFP Doctor Who: “…definitely a madman with a box!”
Deletion, the open access online forum in science fiction studies, is calling fororiginal contributions for a special themed ‘episode’ on Doctor Who. Following the 50th anniversary celebrations the return of the Time Lord later this year. What new directions are possible for a series with such history, production demands and passionate fandom?
Deletion invites contributions from science, philosophy and all other approaches that consider the visual alongside the aural and the aesthetic, to critically engage with the series’ future, past and present and to forge new perspectives for the study of this iconic SF imaginarium. We aim to reflect a diversity of approaches and seek contributions that offer new critical dimensions and concepts to engage with the series, its themes and concepts, its cultural importance and its impact, directions and meaning. Deletion encourages the submission of non-standard submissions such as creative pieces.
Contributions should be between 1200 -1500 words, but can also take the form of 2-3 minute podcasts, video blogs, image galleries, and other media.
Submission are Due May 30, 2014.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Death and Life and Regeneration
- Reimagining Time and Space: multi-dimensional perspectives and places
- Conservation and environmentalism restarting the universe
- Mental health and time travel
- Companion; bodies, genders, races and people
- Technology; and non-technology technology
- Whovians and fan cultures, commodities, cosplay, crafts, economies, and relations
- Genre policing: science fiction, fantasy or space opera?
- Time Lords: politics, power, society, order and chaos,
- New Who and Old Who: transmedia, paratextual industries and innovation
Please contact the editors for the episode Christopher Moore (email@example.com) or Daniel Lewis (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.