Here is a quick update on the latest number of Mythlore. It can be ordered direct from the Mythopoeic Society at http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore/mythlore-130.htm.
Contents are as follows:
Mythlore 130, Volume 35, Issue 2 (Spring/Summer 2017)
— Janet Brennan Croft
“Time to Prepare a Face”: Mythology Comes of Age
— Andrew Lazo
To Grow Together, or To Grow Apart: The Long Sorrow of the Ents and Marriage in The Lord of the Rings.
— Nicole duPlessis
“Enough about Whores”: Sexual Characterization in A Song of Ice and Fire.
— Joseph Young
“It Had Been His Virtue, and Therefore Also the Cause of His Fall”: Seduction as a Mythopoeic Accounting for Evil in Tolkien’s Work.
— Maria Alberto
The Name of the Ring: or, There and Back Again.
— Janet Brennan Croft
Tolkien’s Allusive Backstory: Immortality and Belief in the Fantasy Frame.
— Wayne A. Chandler and Carrol L. Fry
Utopia in Deep Heaven: Thomas More and C.S. Lewis’s Cosmic Trilogy
.— Benjamin C. Parker
From the Ineluctable Wave to the Realization of Imagined Wonder: Tolkien’s Transformation of Psychic Pain into Art.
— John Rosegrant
A Common Language of Desire: The Magicians, Narnia, and Contemporary Fantasy.
— Kelly Kramer
- Fisher, Jason: A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages. J.R.R. Tolkien. Ed. Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins.
- Fitzsimmons, Philip: The ‘Great War’ of Owen Barfield and C.S. Lewis: Philosophical Writings 1927-1930. Edited by Norbert Feinendegen and Arend Smilde Joy and Poetic Imagination: Understanding C.S. Lewis’s “Great War” with Owen Barfield and its Significance for Lewis’s Conversion and Writings. Stephen Thorson.
- Larsen, Kristine: The Hero’s Quest and the Cycles of Nature: An Ecological Interpretation of World Mythology. Rachel S. McCoppin.
- Brown, Nancy Marie: Elf Queens and Holy Friars: Fairy Beliefs and the Medieval Church. Richard Firth Green.
- Cochran, James M.: Outlaw Heroes as Liminal Figures of Film and Television. Rebecca A. Umland.
- Martin, Tiffany Brooke: C.S. Lewis at Poets’ Corner. Edited by Michael Ward and Peter S. Williams.
- Foster, Mike: A Well of Wonder: Essays on C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the Inklings. Clyde S. Kilby.
- Croft, Janet Brennan: Fastitocalon: Studies in Fantasticism Ancient to Modern. Vol. 6, nos. 1 and 2, 2016. Hither Shore: Interdisciplinary Journal on Modern Fantasy Literature. Vol. 12, 2015.